Hi Shaun,

Well, I agree that something like UI Automation is way over do, but it doesn't do any good to spend time on should've, could've, or would'ive because the fact of the matter is the technology is here now and we should be glad its coming. Plus you must remember that these are different times, new laws, etc have came into effect since all that old stuff was created.

For example, MSAA was first introduced for Windows 95 in the mid 90's and became a standard feature of Windows 98. From what I've seen in programming accessibility was primarily bolted on to the OS as an after thought and screen reader developers had to come up with mirror drivers, scripts, etc to make up for the lack of accessibility in applications.

However, in 2001 the ADA was amended with section 508 which makes it mandatory that all software purchased by and used by the U.S. government must be accessible to people with physical disabilities. That law pretty much got the software industry moving on access and why Apple, Microsoft, and Linux developers have been devoting more and more time to improving the accessibility of their operating systems. Even operating systems such as FreeBSD are reasonably accessible with the Gnome desktop and Orca which wasn't the case up until a few years ago.

Bottom line, asking why Microsoft did or didn't do this or that earlier is a waist of time. I think the simplest answer is they were not interested in developing a better solution until Section 508 made it mandatory that they do so in order to have their software used by the U.S. government. Plus Microsoft is the leader in software for the PC, and it would be rather ironic if they fell behind Apple or an upstart like Linux in terms of accessibility, because both Apple's Cocoa and Linux's at-spi technology centralize accessibility through a single API which is what Microsoft is attempting to do now as well.

Cheers!