Hi everyone,

I've just had an idea that might aid current and future audio game developers. I realize that many of the people on this list are blind and have been blind since birth and therefore haven't had much experience with mainstream games. As a result a lot of developers and gamers look at some audio game and assume that it is somehow representative of that type of game even though it might be lacking in several areas. Often times the developer himself/herself is unaware of this fact because they haven't been exposed to that genre of game before.

For example, let's say someone downloaded Super Liam and assumed that all mainstream side-scrollers were like that. Of course, they'd be wrong because Super Liam does not really deal with a 2d environment, doesn't really have an up/down axis of movement, and most action is handled from left to right. There is no advanced combat that takes advantage of a 2d environment like flying enemies you have to shoot out of the air, enemies above you in the tree tops, and other such traps common to mainstream games. It is certainly a decent game, but is not representative of true side-scrollers.

Since this seems to be a common issue with blind developers and blind gamers alike I thought what I'd do is write a document outlining what mainstream games are like, use some classic examples of 2d side-scrollers, 3d first-person shooters, and some 3d third-person shooters. Maybe do a chapter on arcade games and try and describe a few different examples of that genre. Especially, since most people have done the Space Invaders thing, but there is a lot more to arcade than Space Invader type games. I think if I write a document on explaining each kind of game in detail, explain what kinds of features are common to each, maybe audio game developers will be able to come away with some new ideas and be able to begin building more advanced audio games. Anyone interested in this idea?