From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: 27 March 2012 03:53
To: Audyssey Mailing List
Subject: [Audyssey] A Proposal for Game Developers

Hi everyone,

I've just had an idea that might aid current and future audio game
developers. I realize that many of the people on this list are blind and
have been blind since birth and therefore haven't had much experience with
mainstream games. As a result a lot of developers and gamers look at some
audio game and assume that it is somehow representative of that type of game
even though it might be lacking in several areas. Often times the developer
himself/herself is unaware of this fact because they haven't been exposed to
that genre of game before.

For example, let's say someone downloaded Super Liam and assumed that all
mainstream side-scrollers were like that. Of course, they'd be wrong because
Super Liam does not really deal with a 2d environment, doesn't really have
an up/down axis of movement, and most action is handled from left to right.
There is no advanced combat that takes advantage of a 2d environment like
flying enemies you have to shoot out of the air, enemies above you in the
tree tops, and other such traps common to mainstream games. It is certainly
a decent game, but is not representative of true side-scrollers.

Since this seems to be a common issue with blind developers and blind gamers
alike I thought what I'd do is write a document outlining what mainstream
games are like, use some classic examples of 2d side-scrollers, 3d
first-person shooters, and some 3d third-person shooters. Maybe do a chapter
on arcade games and try and describe a few different examples of that genre.
Especially, since most people have done the Space Invaders thing, but there
is a lot more to arcade than Space Invader type games. I think if I write a
document on explaining each kind of game in detail, explain what kinds of
features are common to each, maybe audio game developers will be able to
come away with some new ideas and be able to begin building more advanced
audio games.
Anyone interested in this idea?

-----
No virus found in this message.