I'm not really sure what the answer is. Everyone has good points.

It would be nice not to lose all of your stuff just because you had to
attend to a real-life thing, big or small, but on the other hand, it
would take down some of the risk of the game, and risk is probably the
most attractive thing about the game.

What about a compromise? What about a way to set up a temporary door
to a room or structure, like a barricade. Zombies could break it down
to come to you, and other people could do the same, but you could set
it up, given you had one in your inventory, and you would at least be
a little safer. I'll put an example up. Say you go into a train car in
Map 2. The majority of the middle of that car is filled with
impassable stuff, boxes I guess. So your back is safe. You go in, set
up this one-time-use thing, like a plastic half wall or something. An
axe or gunfire at close range would take the barricade down, and
zombies could knock it down if they tried, but if you are still and
quiet, they won't know you're there, unless they followed you.

That way, it wouldn't be a get out of jail free card, and you couldn't
make a little room of them to stay safe and shoot zombies, but you
could use one, if you had one, to make a temporarily safe alcove.
Safe, in this case, would mean that you're just that little bit less
likely to get attacked, because the zombie won't just randomly stagger
through.

Maybe that's a good middle ground.

Signed:
Dakotah Rickard