Hi Dark,

Oh, i know the value of the internet for research, and you are absolutely right about it being a valuable tool for any university student. Programming games is a lot like studying law because it is constantly changing, evolving, and there is no way printed books can keep up with changes in APIs, tools, and programming languages as they evolve on a fairly regular basis. Internet websites and e-books can be updated easily with the changes, and is ultimately better for our environment because we don't have to cut down millions of trees to make paper books that will be out of date in a year or two anyway.

At the same time though its nice to have a copy of a favorite book in hard cover. Something physical to put on your bookshelf and read. I guess what I'm saying is that printed books have more a value to collectors than they do to a student, because collectors buy books for there nostalgia value more than anything else. Its for this reason that first editions of classics tend to go for an extremely high price. Its not that the story inside is all that different, but you are buying the original copy of that book which is often several years old. The better the condition of that old book the more it is worth.

In other cases there are errors in the early editions that were corrected in later reprints of the book which are interesting to read. What I mean by that sometimes those mistakes reveal something about how the book, story, evolved, and you can see minor changes the author or editors decided to make later on as they noticed mistakes in the text. Perhaps the most obvious case of this I can think of is the original 1977 first edition of Star Wars: A New Hope.

As I understand it the book was being written at the same time George Lucas was filming the first movie, and the author who wrote the book basically had to put the book together based on Lukas's notes and sample screen plays. As a result the book ended up being slightly different from the movie. Instead of a light saber the author often referred to it as a laser sword, which was a correct description, but in hindsight many Star Wars fans would have hung the author for reducing the mighty light saber of the Jedi Knights to a mere laser sword. Lol!

Anyway,after Star Wars became a smash hit both at the theater and the book became a New York Times best seller someone decided to edit the book and correct some of the terminology etc. Instead of a laser sword later editions identified it as a light saber to bring the book more in sink with the movies. Thing is that first edition, warts and all, are worth more than any other Star Wars book that has ever been printed simply because it was the first to ever have been printed. Collectors pride themselves in being able to take it down off the bookshelf, look at it, read it, or just show their friends the original first edition of the most famous sci-fi book of all time.

Beyond that I think for a lot of reasons it would be nice if we could have access to every book ever printed in a digital format. Its possible now to store hundreds of pdf documents on an external drive, and websites like wikipedia make it easier to get the basic facts a person needs for a research project. Plus at the bottom of most Wikipedia articles there is a list of original sources you can go to for more information on the topic, and can use as a guide for the essential references you need on a particular topic. Plus a digital format saves time having a physical book, document, etc shipped to you via plane, train, or truck when it can be downloaded in a matter of a couple of minutes.

A few years ago my mom was working on her side of the family tree. She managed to trace our families roots back to Scotland, and then hit a stone wall. The archives and documents she needed simply were not available in the United States and were only available from a library in Scotland. Well, it so happened my step-sister Katlin was over in England, doing a year at Oxford, and agreed to drive up to Scotland and make photo copies of the documents my mom needed for our family album. As it turned out she came home from the U.K. with hundreds of pages of material on our family containing birth and death records, where they lived, who fought and died fighting the English, and so on.Besides the documents she braught home she had a flash drive full of pictures of Scotland and pictures of where the records say my family lived. She also took pictures of a few graveyards and of tombstones of people listed in the records for research purposes etc. Basically, had Katlin not been over in the U.K. at the time valuable information about our family prior to the 1700's would have not been available to us.

This is where the internet and electronic media really shines. If all of those documents had been scanned and made available online it wouldn't have been necessary for a family member to actually visit the actual libraries that contained those documents. Granted Katlin brought back more than just documents when she went, but the bottom line is I wonder how many other people are in a similar situation needing to do some background historical research on someone or something and the print documents are locked up in some European library rather than on the internet in some massive online library. :D

Anyway, to get back on topic here. I am pretty sure the fighting fantasy books are being printed in hard cover or paperback form simply for their nostalgia value. It might be hard to purchase an original edition of the book, and for many people like myself getting a reprint is just as good. It might not be the original, but I can have something similar for a reasonable price. I am in my mid 30's now, and I'm sure guys my age probably want something as close to the original as possible. Having an e-book version just doesn't have the same feeling as holding a physical book for some people.

Cheers!