Hi Tom.
I'll also add that interestingly enough, there's something of a gamebook revival going on at the moment. All the classical original fighting fantasy books are being reprinted, as are new editions of the Lone wolf books with extra content, ---- though sadly I've not heard anything of electronic versions.

On the plus side, there are various companies writing gamebook aps for the Iphone. One of these, starbreed I know to have access problems annoyingly, but there are several others, see the links on www.arborell.com for details, which is one reason why I'm myself very keen to try an iphone, sinse I'm a huge fan of that style of game, and intend to do more serious writing of them myself as and when my phd is finished.

Beware the grue!

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 8:30 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Inquirie on Inspector Cindy mystery games.

Hi Paulette,

Well, the term gamebook actually dates back before the age of computer games, and at one time were actually physical books you played with a sheet of paper and pen. You would have a story and you made choices by selecting one of the options at the bottom of the page. If you were in a castle it might say something like if you want to go up the staircase go to page 35, and if you want to go down the stairs go to page 55. You would turn to that page, and if there was an enemy to fight you would take a playing dice and roll for the enemy and roll for your character and apply any bonuses etc to each of the rolls. You would then right down the results on your paper, page number, etc in order to keep track of your stats and position in the gamebook.

Now days,of course, all of this can be done in computer based game books. Mark up languages like HTML allows you to simply click on the choice or option you want which is similar to turning to page x, and script languages like Perl, PHP, Javascript, etc can handle dice rolling and even saving your stats for you. These modern gamebooks are similar in style to the classic gamebooks, but obviously are designed to be played on a computer.

Now, as for the 7-128 games they have written a gamebook in the Java programming language, have added sound effects, speech output, etc but are still very much in the classic gamebook style adventure. You go around from place to place asking each character questions and depending on which questions you ask you are presented with different choices and/or questions to ask. Its a bit more fluid than manual paper and pen gamebooks, but selecting a button to enter the dining hall etc is similar to turning to page x. Make sense?

Cheers!