Hi Jim,

That's very true. A lot of people believe because Atari opened the console to third-party developers and there were a number of unsuccessful games released it lead to Atari's downfall. Atari got a reputation for having very low quality games just when Nentendo was beginning to come out with their own console and sales for the NES were going through the roof while Atari went belly up.

As far as I know Nintendo was one of the first to require developers to pay them to support their game console, and to use a review board to approve and reject perspective games for the console. Sega followed Nintendo's lead and began to do the same thing. Not surprisingly by the late 80's and early 90's video games had dramatically improved, and those standards set by Nintendo and Sega forced out all the lower quality games. Its for that reason Sony, Apple, Microsoft, etc continue this practice. Its a good way to make sure everything produced for the platform lives up to the quality and standards the brand expects.