Hi Dark,

Maybe not. However, that's just the way the game is played. I suppose the reason behind supplying the contestant with the answer and having them reply with the correct question is it adds more challenge to the game by forcing the contestant to remember to add what is, who is, or who was to the beginning of their reply. How the question is phrased is as important as the actual answer. Its a lot more difficult to remember to do than it sounds.

For example, I can remember in high school I had a teacher who would prepare the class for a test by having an oral quiz the day before the test. She loved Jeopardy so natural the oral quiz took on the format of Jeopardy. She would divide the class up into teams say, boys vs the girls, and the rules of the quiz were the same as Jeopardy. She would write the categories for the round on the board, and then quiz the students questions from the test like this.

"This is an unfertilized human egg."
"What is an ova?"

The problem with the quiz taking on the rules of Jeopardy was that in a lot of the cases the students would forget to phrase the answer as a question or phrase it wrong, and therefore the question was passed to the other team who would rephrase the question getting it right. Our natural response was just to give a direct answer, and it was easy to forget to phrase the answer as a question. That's why I think Jeopardy does it the way they do. It is a kind of reverse logic that slips people up, and I think that is why you don't understand the purpose of why they do it. It doesn't make any sense if you aren't use to it.

Of course, it could be a cultural thing. I grew up watching Jeopardy, because my grandma use to watch it almost every single knight. So naturally it makes perfect sense to me, I'm use to it, and I find myself not understanding your own position. If Alex asked the question and the contestant were to give the answer that wouldn't be Jeopardy to me. It would lose that reverse logic which sets it apart from other game shows.

You talked about game shows that are pathetically easy. I've seen a lot of those myself, but Jeopardy definitely isn't one. A lot of the subject matter is fairly difficult for the average person to answer and/or the subject matter tends to be obscure making the game show quite educational as well as entertaining. A person can learn quite a lot about history, mythology, religion, biology, and plenty of other subjects just by watching the show. the fact that many of the questions aren't easy to answer has a certain appeal for guys like me who love to learn new things or who likes a serious challenge.

Other game shows are too simple for me. There is a show called Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader. Naturally, all the quiz questions are taken from fifth grade textbooks and I can usually get a perfect score on that show. However, many adults on that show screw up, and if they don't win the show they have to say they are not smarter than a fifth grader. I hate to say it, but that is an abysmal example of how our educational system has failed the American people. I wasn't aware of how many people who were absolute dunces when it came to basic history, geography, math, you name it until that show came on. Its like where were those people when they were in school? Were they sleeping or what?