Hi Tom.

I can appreciate the obscurity of questions certainly, indeed that was often why I watched quiz shows myself, and why I get so irritated with the modern ones, ---- for instance I saw a recent game show just before I stopped my tv license which had a round in which players had to memorize a sequence of first 4, then 5 then an entire 6! flashing lights, ---- oooo no! how tricky. However, the Jeopardy reverse logic thing is still something I really don't see the point of, sinse it doesn't strike me as so different saying "what is an ovum" to use your example, as just "ovum"

to me, it's like simon says or other party games involving rythm and numbers, just inserting some random words before your answer to make it a question, but not actually changing the content of the question and answer all that much.

Perhaps however sinse the british version was obviously less than successful, and it never court on after that (I only used to watch it because Bbc2 showed it just before the reruns of the Buck rogers tv series), this is something more of a cultural thing that you had to grow up watching, with the hosts' personality and quality of the catagories playing a part in why it had appeal.

After all, who wants to be a millionare is at rock bottom a multiple choice exercize, and thus quite dull if described as a quiz, and while they did get to some obscure questions later on, you had to get far along for those. Ultimately as much of the appeal was watching some greedy person risk everything on one answer, then watching Chris tarrant taunt them silly by taking as long as possible to actually tell people whether they were right or not.

ditto with the wonderfuly creative insults by Anne robinson on the weakest link.

Beware the grue!