  From: Thomas Ward
  To: Gamers Discussion list
  Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2012 3:35 AM
  Subject: Re: [Audyssey] iPhone apps and blind programmers

  Hi Allan,

  I certainly have considered writing games for Apple iOS devices given
  their popularity, but its not as simple or straight forward as you
  might think. First, in order to develop software for iOS devices like
  the iPhone a person must own a Mac, have the Apple development tools,
  and the iOS SDK.Since a decent MacBook is going to cost a developer
  say $1,200  for the computer hardware required for development and
  software its an expensive investment. Second,iOS apps are almost
  exclusively written in a language called Object C. Its a language I'm
  not really familiar with, and I would imagine every blind audio game
  developer is in the same boat. Point being any audio game developer
  thinking of writing games for iOS needs to spend time learning their
  proprietary language for their proprietary OS, using their proprietary
  tools. Finally, if that isn't enough, every game written for iOS must
  be reviewed by a board who will approve or decline the app's
  acceptance into the Apple app store. As Liam so recently found out if
  it doesn't meet very specific standards a person could end up spending
  a lot of time and money and still have it rejected by Apple in the end
  for reason x.So at this point I don't think its worth my time or money
  investing in the iOS platform from a feasibility standpoint.

  If I were going to develop games for a mobile platform I would
  strongly consider Android. For one thing it has very open standards,
  uses the Open Java specification, and accept for some specific
  graphics toolkits etc Android is very easy to work with. Googles
  standards are much more relaxed than Apple, and its possible to use
  off the shelf tools and applications to develop and port apps from
  Windows and Linux directly to Android. A developer doesn't necessarily
  have to own an Android phone to test out the apps because its possible
  to run Android OS in a virtual machine where its not possible to run
  iOS inside a virtual machine for development purposes.

  Cheers!