well how much ram do you have.
there are probably some settings in vmware to tweak.
Cut out everything you are not using.
skype, msn, everything in systray you don't need up, can it.
anything open, can it.
nvda can stay up but you may want to cut out your comercial reader to.
heck even cut nvda if that will help on the host os.
next go to run and type msconfig.
in the boot page, select advanced
check the number of processers box.
now in the list box hit end or down arrow till you can't do it anymore
hit ok twice and restart.
this will make sure you have everything going at startup of the host os.
If you have multipul cores, and say 4gb ram, or even more.
Firstly note that the max xp can take is something in the reagon of 3.5gb of actual ram.
it can happily run on 1-2 or 1.5gb ram.
Processers.
if you have say for sake a duelcore or a core2 or a quod running at 2.6 or 3.0ghz
you probably only need 1 core, maybe 2 at the most.
Now vmplayer uses resources to.
in task manager, select the process of vmplayer.
right click that in the processes page and set the prioroty to low.
That will pull resources much less on the host.
If you happen to have a trusted tpm infinity module, you may have or not.
look in the right menu foryour set ifinity option
now uncheck all boxes bar 1 of your cores.
core 0 is your first core core 1 is second, etc, etc, etc.
 If the vertual pc itself appears as a process you may want to do the same.
if you can run your box on half your ram, then do that.
If you can get more ram for your box, I suggest you double it say 6-8gb.
then you can use a  full 3 gb for xp or 4 any more than 4 is not usable anyway.
Vmware will set minimalistic numbers so you should enter your own values.