Hi Dark,

Well, I have my own mixed feelings about science. I personally love
science, have always been interested in it since I can remember,and I
do think it is the best way mankind has found for gathering knowledge
about our environment we live in. However, that said, I'll be the
first to admit science is far from perfect. There are a number of
subjects that science is incapable of explaining.

For example, the subject of life after death. Human beings have
believed in some sort of afterlife for as long as there has been
recorded history. Yet, the scientific answer is that the concept of an
afterlife is wishful thinking. Problem is that science has no evidence
to base that conclusion on any more than a religious person has
evidence there is an afterlife. Its one of those kinds of questions
that can't be proven or disproved through science alone.

The real reason science claims there is no afterlife is because of the
world view science has adopted regarding the origins of life. Most
biologists will tell you that we pretty much started out as single
celled organisms, and after billions of years evolved into human
beings. Fine, but how did life begin in the first place?

No one really knows that answer for sure. Its still one of sciences
unsolved mysteries, and I'm not at all sure they will find the answers
to that question. However, because science has concluded we all
evolved through some natural means therefore there can be no
afterlife. There isn't enough evidence to prove either theory as yet.

Despite sciences shortcomings there is quite a lot science can and
does explain. Just like anything else there is good solid science and
bad science out there. A person simply has to be intelligent enough to
see the difference between the two. So what does all this have to do
with gaming?

I'm all for using imagination, creativity, but there are certain
aspects in science fiction I find unbelievable simply because it
defies certain scientific laws I happen to know is true. Of course,
science and a good story aren't totally compatible, and here is a case
in point.

You are sitting at the helm of a starship. The captain orders that you
engage the FTL drive. The second your hand accesses the controls the
ship enters light speed and you are turned into mush. What happened?

Its simple. The faster you travel the greater the mass of the
spaceship and the people living on board it. The inertia and g-forces
would crush anything living into mush long before the spaceship
reached light speed. However, while this is proven fact scientifically
its not very practical in terms of a good SF story.

The only way to get around this problem is to come up with some sort
of clever device that is scientifically plausible.  On Star Trek, for
example, they created something called an inertial dampener that
somehow keeps the inertia and gravity consistent during space flight.
We don't know how this would work in reality, but it does explain why
the crew isn't turned into mush when flying from planet to planet.

In short, I guess what I meant to saying my prior e-mail is that
anything I do in a RPG game should be scientifically plausible. It may
not necessarily agree with science as we understand it today, but
those things are explained in a way that could be plausible enough to
be believable.

With a story like He Man that's actually a bit of a different
situation than your normal piece of SF because it all takes place on
an alien planet that is quite different from our own. Who says magic
doesn't occur somewhere else in the galaxy?

In any case the uniqueness of the story, characters, etc really took
presidents over realism. I think that is because it was primarily
meant to be taken as fantasy, completely imagination, rather than
attempting to be scientifically plausible the way something like Star
Trek was. The SF elements in He Man were simply added into the fantasy
setting rather than simply being classic science fiction in of
themselves.

As to the questions you had about He-Man many of the answers were
actually answered in She-Ra, a spin-off series, that picked up where
He-Man left off. For example, in the pilot episode, "Secret of the
Sword," He-Man is summoned to Castle Grayskull after the Sorceress has
a bad dream and wakes up to find a power sword floating above her
head. Its identical to He-Man's power sword accept it has a jewel set
below the blade.

Once He-Man arrives at Grayskull she sends him through the mysterious
portal that opens to find the one the sword is intended for. As it
turns out it happens to be his long lost sister, Princess Adora, who
was kidnapped by Hordak 20 years earlier. He-Man brings Adora back to
Grayskull where the Sorceress explains to them both the events of the
great war between King Randor and the Horde, and during that telling
she reveals who Skeletor was and how he became disfigured. So the
historical back story of Skeletor in the2002 series is actually a
reinvention of Skeletor rather than the original cannon.

As for Grayskull that was explained in one of the original He-Man
episodes. I don't recall which one off hand, but Grayskull is the
source of magic on Eternia. It also is where all the wisdom of the
Counsel of Elders was kept. Therefore the person who inhabits the
castle, is the keeper of its secrets, is the most powerful person on
Eternia. What Skeletor never understood, though, is that only a person
with great honesty and integrity can ever use the magic of Grayskull.

For example, in one episode the Sorceress tells He Man her story on
how she became the Sorceress and the Keeper of Grayskull. Centuries
before He Man begins she was a peasant girl named Teela, and her
village is attacked by an evil group of aliens from another dimension.
She escapes and ends up at Castle Grayskull. The original Sorceress
was old and unable to help, and was near death. She tells Teela, AKA
the current Sorceress,  that if her intentions are honest and good,
that she is willing to serve Eternia, to use the powers given her for
good she would succeed her as the Keeper of Grayskull. Naturally she
agrees and assumes the powers of the Sorceress of Grayskull, and kicks
the villains off Eternia. So that's the story.

Now, I've always thought it was interesting the Sorceress's real name
is Teela, and I suppose that makes sense since He-Man's friend Teela
is the Sorceress's daughter. Man-At-Arms simply named her after her
mother.