Thomas and Dark,

I have held my tongue on this for quite some time, since it's off
topic and a political firestorm issue.  However, since our two
moderators are the prime participants, I'm not going to worry about
being banned for throwing in my two cents.

I was raised in a Mormon polygamist splinter group religion.  This is
more commonly known as a Mormon multiple wife cult.  I had two moms,
simultaneously in the same house, for several years when I was growing
up.  If any of you have more cult experience than I do, I'd like to
hear about it.

Based on my experience and my subsequent investigation into other
organized religions over the years, I agree with Dawkins that raising
children in a church is bordering on child abuse. When it comes to
cults such as the jehovas witnesses, scientology, and mormon splinter
groups, it's brutally clear that it's child abuse.  And when it comes
to cults, I'm totally in support of the state removing children from
them, by force if necessary.

Just because someone is a parent, doesn't mean that a child is
property, and noone has the right to screw up a child the way those
groups do.

Also based on my background, I agree with him that children should be
indoctrinated in the scientific method, again by force if necessary.
Science teaches critical thinking and says nothing about religion -
anyone who claims otherwise is either teaching it wrong, or has an
agenda.  Children who learn science can decide to learn religion
afterward.  However, the converse is not true: a child indoctrinated
in a religion from birth will often have tremendous difficulty
learning to think critically.  Critical thinking is one of the most
important skills you could possibly teach a child, and we shortchange
both the child and all of society by allowing this idiocy to continue.

Finally, this is grossly off topic.  We should probably kill this
thread and move back to gaming.

Dennis Towne

Alter Aeon MUD
http://www.alteraeon.com