This makes the most sense.  I don't think the message length limits actually
stop purely legitimate messages, since you'd have to write an extremely long
message to pass the limit!  The limit seems to be in place to stop emails that
are trailing copies of previous posts in the topic, and those are annoying if
left in.

If we increase the message limit then it would really only be increasing the
number of old message copies tacked on to the end of people's posts.

On a separate but related note, after sending off that notice to Yahoo
yesterday, my sent folder has started saving copies of messages I reply to!
Hurray!