To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Monday, September 03, 2012 3:37 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Looking for textadventures for beginners

Hi Dark,

Precisely my point. As we discussed a few months back on the Audio
Games  forum a parser doesn't have to necessarily be overly complex to
be effective. In fact, the less commands the better and less confusing
it should be. One doesn't have to have a "grab," "get," and "take"
command which all essentially do the same thing. Simply typing "take
item" and being consistent with that will reduce confusion. Plus if a
command like "smell" isn't going to b used there is no sense in adding
it if the only message you will get back is "you smell nothing unusual
here."

As far as combining items such as creating a grappling hook I'd
probably use a command like "join rope and hook" which not only makes
sense but is far easier than "tie rope on  hook" or "tie rope to hook"
etc. A "join" command or "combine" command could be used to join or
combine any two items together to create another special item. As long
as it is documented and the parser sticks to that convention no
problem.

The problem I've found with ZCode games is that there are so many
different commands that its difficult to figure out which one the
author chose to use for that particular action. Is it "in fireplace,"
"enter fireplace," or "north." You just don't know until you try all
the possibilities. If a command like "in" is used then it should be
consistent and we should not come along and have to use "enter" when
encountering a similar situation later on. In short, consistency is
the key.

As far as puzzles goes my philosophy is to keep it simple stupid so to
speak. That is the puzzle should be logical and make sense in a real
world context. If we have a text adventure where you type "climb rope"
and it says something cute like "you are unable to climb this rope
right now" you would have to think about that problem logically. Well,
if you have a big sword in one hand and a shield in the other you
might have to type "sheath sword" and drop the shield in order to use
both hands to climb the rope. After all, you can always climb back
down and  get your shield later in the adventure. However, as puzzles
goes a person  should figure it out without a huge leap of logic.

Cheers!