To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2012 4:43 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Looking for textadventures for beginners

Hi Dark,

Could be. I know for myself one of the things I'm looking at doing is
writing my own interactive fiction games probably in Python without
the guesswork involved, and they would have a special emphasis on a
more paper and pen roll playing game type feel. Random dice rolls,
skill points, etc would determine success or failure at a given task
rather than if you managed to guess the obscure answer to the
solution. If it is a case of not having the correct experience
required you could come back later once you have achieved the proper
skill level rather than beating your head against a wall trying to
guess the answer to the puzzle.

I happen to love textadventures, but not the type of IF games
popularized by Infocom because of their puzzle based nature. I
remember playing text games for Dos such as a couple of Indiana Jones
games that weren't nearly as complex to play, and it felt like you
were going somewhere with the plot even if you didn't figure out a
puzzle on the first or second try. Usually, the solution was pretty
obvious after you played the game a couple of times.

For example, in one game Indi would get captured by the Natzis. If
that happened anything he was carrying would be taken away and lost
including his trusty whip which was required to rescue Maryanne at the
end of the game. The solution there was obvious. Find a safe place to
drop Indi's gear before entering the Natzi's HQ, get captured,
breakout, and grab Indi's gear from wherever you dropped it. Its one
of those puzzles with a very easy solution anyone with half a brain
should be able to figure out.

Basically, it is this type of text adventure I'd be more interested in
writing. It might be interesting to have a few puzzles here and there
but the solution should be easy to figure out without having to spend
all day guessing how to solve the puzzle.

Cheers!