Hi all. on the topic of text addvenchers I remember when I was little playing eamin on the old apple 2 e pc and also i also remember years later playing the txt game of hitchhikers guide. I wish that some one would invent a audio game or something of eamin that would be able to work on windows since I would like to play that again. from Mich. ----- Original Message ----- From: "dark" <d...@xgam.org>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:07 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Fast paced games now text adventures

Hi Tom.

with sryth I just got irritated that a character I'd been playing for six years still! needed to donate hundreds of dollars for in game items, and often all I got with the new adventures was some sort of short "you fight this monster then this monster" type of affair. Allt he gm seemed to be doing at that point was pandering to those who liked to compare stats with all those raid monsters, and putting in sinks to take your tocans.

Frankly, given that even in 2009 there were 400 paying members, each of which contributed 20 usd a year, that should've been more than enough to keep the game going.

This is why I prefer ce, since all the commercial items there are very carefully balanced and none are necessary at all, or puppet nightmares where you can pretty much earn the in game currency in spades if you play anyway. It also helps that puppet nightmares, while it doesn't have a realistic combat system as you describe, does have a very detailed one involving three pokemon like creatures battling three enemies. You can for instance have one of your soul puppet's use a skill which increases the ennemy's damage to fire, another use a skill on an ally which increases their magic, and the third with it's increased magic use the firewall skill to blow your enemy away.

the only problem with pn is that there is no in game battle descriptive text or descriptive text for the skills, which is actually a shame since such text does! exist in the columns of skill descriptions and affects which exist in the games' help system, however when I suggested to the gm that he make this info available in the game itself he said while hwas quite happy to make access changes, such increases in text descriptions would spoil the look of the interface and in his view only be of bennifit to blind people, (I did point out the prevailance of text based games but he didn't respond).

a shame, since in the matter of labelling images and such he's otherwise been great, and the story text to the game is fairly unique.

either way one game which does! have that sort of combat system is the glulx rpg kerkerkruip, in fact I'd highly recommend it, particularly the new version which fixes one of the major problems I had with previous versions of the game and actually lets you gain experience by fighting monsters, rather than just swap your abilities around meaning that you can now progress by winning random combats where as before defeating the wrong monster at the wrong time could actually cost you the game.

Beware the Grue!