Hi Dark,

Oh, yes, smart phones are a great place to find retro games and one
very big reason for that is they don't have the CPU power and large
enough screens for anything too complex. Developers are finding the
games of yesterday to be very well suited for that platform just
because they are simple and don't require a lot of CPU power and some
outrageously expensive video card and monitor. :D

I agree that far too many developers are making retro remakes of
classics with slightly different themes and such rather than something
original but I suppose that's because its easier and less expensive to
develop something you know rather than invent something totally knew.
If I wanted to make a quick buck and someone asked me to write a quick
arcade game dealing with space I' sure I might come up with something
similar to Zaxxon just because it is familiar, I know how it works,
and its a good game I haven't played in at least twenty years. Better
yet the game is simple and could be adapted to a touchscreen by moving
your starfighter with your finger and double tapping an enemy
starfighter to shoot it etc. Just off the top of my head I had a
concept I could develop and sell without thinking much about it. Were
I to write something from scratch I'd have to spend days coming up
with something from scratch which could cost me time and money.

As far as the new Tomb Raider game goes from what I've read you are
right. Its pretty much some cobbled together generic plots and
actions, and lacks the depth and back story of the prior versions. It
is very much like a microwave dinner just baked up for the fans
without any thought or real planning involved in its creation.

As far as independent developers goes that's one reason I hope to get
the new web site up and running soon. Not only do I want to have links
and information on existing games, but I'd like to write some
technical guides on the art of creating audio games and such so anyone
who is interested can read it and evaluate if it is something they can
incorporate into their own designs without much effort or difficulty.

Cheers!