Hi Dark,

Right. All that makes sense, and is some good food for thought. I can
see how having a level editor would make many games have unlimited
game play.

For example, back in the early 90's ID Software's Doom game came with
a way to create custom wad files, and sure enough people made their
own wad files complete with custom graphics, sounds, and so on.  One
of my favorites was a Star Wars Doom expansion that converted the game
to a Star Wars type universe and I never got tired of Doom because I
could always download or buy a new expansion pack for it.

In away we have already seen some of what you suggest right here in
our own community. When Dan and Justin set out to write a Space
Invaders clone they did so in a way that was new and unique. In
Troopenum you have falling mediors, shields, different types of
weapons, and several different ships coming down out of the sky.
That's a new and different experience from the classic Space Invaders
game I knew as a kid.

Anyway, I see your point. If a game developer is going to repackage a
classic game he or she should take some consideration how it can be
improved, updated, and made new or fresh rather than cloning the
original exactly as was produced way back in 1980 or whatever. That
makes sense given that we have better technology than they had back
then and so much more can be done today.

Cheers!