Hi Dark,

I see your point, but again this is probably where you and I differ
when it comes to advanced user verses standard user comes in. If I am
going to have a level editor I am going to want to script things, to
be able to change the behavior of characters and items, rather than
just place them on a map and let the engine take care of all the rest.
It gives both the developer and the end user far more flex ability in
creating new game content.

Let's use Montezuma's Revenge as a simple example here. When I wrote
that game the skulls would roll left and right across the floor along
the x axis and your character had to jump over them. I could create a
simple level editor such as you describe just placing the skulls in
various rooms, and let the engine take it from there, but it doesn't
allow me to change or alter the behavior of those skulls. If I had a
way to script levels, in particular the behavior of enemy objects, I
could add additional enemies to the game such as the skulls that
bounced up and down along the y axis without altering the engine
itself which would be more of an advantage in the long term.

That said, a simple 2d level editor that doesn't require scripting
should be pretty easy to create all things considered. Basically, all
we would need is a 2d grid of say 100 by 100, and a few pull down
menus to draw content on the map such as doors, walls, fire pits,
ropes, ledges, and other  level content.. You would select the item to
draw and it would then place it on your grid. As you move over the
grid Sapi could announce door, rope, fire pit, ledge, or whatever was
drawn in that position. So its not an overly difficult thing to do.

I guess what I want to say is I'm not against the idea of a level
editor so much as I'd like to have more control over the content I'd
add and create. While it seems pretty simple to create a basic level
editor that does not require any scripting I can see it being a bit
limiting as well. Still, even if I did have a simple level editor,
track editor, and other such tools I can see how they would increase
the amount of playable content available in audio games.

Cheers!