Ok, let me explain in more detail :-

I have a requirement to write gathered data from a small cluster (about 40
computers).
The number of metrics to be gathered is low (about 6-10). These metrics need
to be stored indefinitely.
We also want to process the data in a real-time manner, that is - each
insert of data results in some operations, the results
of which are used in taking meal-time decisions about the
configuration/allocation of the cluster.

Having the data in a Relational DB makes it far easier to perform complex
operations on the stored data. This is the
main reason why we want it in a DB. This is all for a research project into
cluster computing.
The growing size of the Data is not really an issue for us as we can
truncate it to whatever we want.

We already know that an rrd can be dumped to xml or whatever, but we
specifically want data to be written
directly to a DB.

I hope that answers all the queries.
:)