Chris,

I am facing the exact issue but I chose a different approach:

   1. I added support for "custom time range" in the web frontend. While
      I don't have 1-hour granularity a year back, I doubt we'd need to
      debug year-old (or even month-old) NFS issues. This kind of
      information is best served hot.
   2. I've added gmetrics showing NFS ops.
   3. I'm working on an interface which would allow generating "custom
      graphs". Here the user would choose whatever metrics she wants in
      the graph, whether builtin gmetrics, and any CDEF-based metrics,
      and a graph would be generated based on that information. I'm
      implementing this for cluster/grid views, as this is where I
      believe the information would be most relevant.

Another helpful feature would be an interface grouping a list of select
hosts (logical cluster, if you will) and displaying the requested
metrics for them. I'll look into this once I'm done implementing custom
graphs.

I think the main question here is "would I need to debug month-old
problems?"

Cheers,
Alex