Hi Mike:

On 8/24/07, Mike Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>         Platform:  MacOSX 10.4.10 (Intel) and will confirm same problem
> monday on MacOSX 10.4.10 (powerPC)
>         Problem:  The data from the all nodes/clusters where not being saved
> (consistently and accurately) to the rdd files.  In debugging this
> issue, it appears the problem is at line 134 of gmetad/
> data_thread.c   if(struct_poll.revents & POLLHUP).
>
>         From web searches http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2001/06/poll.html &
> http://www.osxfaq.com/man/2/poll.ws & etc.  it appears that the use
> of POLLHUP is not universal in the definition and implementation.
> For OSX it appears that the entire message (partially verified by
> using ethereal) is received...even though this (POLLHUP is evaluated
> to true).  With the logic in the 'if' statement, the entire message
> is discarded, and thus almost (if not all) data is never saved to the
> rrd files and all hosts are reported either not existing or down.
>
>         By commenting out this if statement (line 134 block), gmetad works
> wonderfully. (since all data is being received)

Perhaps simply checking POLLHUP is not sufficient.  We might need to
check something else before we discard the message -- think you can
write a patch?

>         In searching the ganglia mailing lists, I couldn't find
> anything....  is this known?  or is this an issue (and thus I need to
> open a bug report)?

If you have searched through the bug reports and didn't see it filed
already, please do:

http://bugzilla.ganglia.info

P.S. Was it difficult to compile this under OSX?  Which version of
Ganglia are you using?  3.0.4?

Thanks,