On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 11:45:37PM -0800, Bernard Li wrote:
> > attached a fix that was tested working in my athlon64 laptop running gentoo
> > linux 2007.0 with and without powernow-k8.  a similar fix will need to be
> > done
> > for the multicpu code unless changes in r815 are reverted and then we go
> > back
> > to slurpfile silent to errors (but leaving that to the caller as being used
> > everywhere else).
>
> Had a quick glance at the patch -- looks okay.  Please feel free to check it
> in.

committed in r860

> BTW, I don't understand what you were referring to about the changes in r815:
>
> http://ganglia.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ganglia/trunk/monitor-core/lib/file.c?r1=394&r2=815
>
> All I did was include the filename that was causing the error, it was
> never 'silent' to begin with.
>
> So instead of getting the message:
>
> GMOND[31539]: slurpfile() open() error on file
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq: No such file or
> directory
>
> it would have read:
>
> GMOND[31539]: slurpfile() open() error: No such file or
> directory

my bad, another one of those regressions that only happened in my local tree
then; where slurpfile was silent (I'd removed printing that message as that
was anyway handled by all callers that care about it through the returned value)

guess then the question will be:

* is printing the error something that slurpfile should do or it is the
responsibility of the caller to check for the returned value and print one
if needed?
* if that is the case should the API for slurpfile be extended to differentiate
between "can't open" and "can't read" errors?, what about "buffer overflow" or
other errors?
* if that is not the case can we then remove all other error handling outside
of slurpfile?

Carlo