Hi Carlo:

On 11/9/07, Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > If it's okay with you, I will follow the instructions in the wiki docs
> > > to add the .pyc files to the RPM.
>
> and the .pyo

I don't see much benefit to include .pyo files -- the main reason why
I brought up the whole .pyc issue was because they are generated
during run time -- .pyo files are not and basically is a version that
has docstrings stripped out.  From the manual:

http://docs.python.org/tut/node8.html#SECTION008120000000000000000

Passing two -O flags to the Python interpreter (-OO) will cause the
bytecode compiler to perform optimizations that could in some rare
cases result in malfunctioning programs. Currently only __doc__
strings are removed from the bytecode, resulting in more compact .pyo
files. Since some programs may rely on having these available, you
should only use this option if you know what you're doing.

> > But do whatever you believe is best.
>
> as I mentioned before there is no best, and it is a packager decision to go
> with either of the conflicting alternatives; as far as they are implemented
> correctly.

As packaging documentations from both Fedora and SUSE mention that
they should be included, I have decided to include the .pyc files.

I hope that Brad is okay with this :-)

Cheers,