>>> On 2/8/2008 at 10:46 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Jesse Becker"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Bernard Li"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > Hi guys:
>> >
>> > I have modified the frontend such that the host metrics can be grouped
>> > by GROUP provided by the EXTRA_DATA tag.
>> >
>> > Question is -- do we want this to be the default, or allow user to
>> > choose whether to do the grouping or not?
>>
>> The default should probably be all groups, however I think that there should
> be a simply dropdown that allows you to pick with group that you want to
> focus on.  The dropdown would contain "All Groups (default)", "No Groups",
> <Groups>, etc.
>
> All groups should be the default, since that's most similar to the
> current design.  A simple dropdown along the "status bar" would
> probably work well (this is below the various "reports", but above the
> metrics).
>
>> > Metrics that do not belong to a group, will be put under a group
>> > called "no_group".
>
>> > I modified ganglia.php such that EXTRA_DATA data can now be propagated
>> > to the frontend -- this makes it possible for folks to arbitrarily
>> > hide certain metrics by group.  However, we probably need to think
>> > about how we want to implement this -- i.e. can I save a setting where
>> > I don't see certain metrics for all hosts, some hosts, etc...?
>> >

>> One of the first things that I would like to see is replacing the
> metric_name in the heading of each graph with the TITLE.  I assume that this
> would be an easy thing to do but since I am not a PHP guy, I'll leave it to
> the experts.
>
> The title of...what?  Not quite sure I understand.  If the metric name
> is removed, it should be put elsewhere, since the actual metric
> plotted on a given chart isn't shown anywhere else.

The human readable title that is passed through as TITLE in the EXTRA_DATA that
Bernard just exposed to the front end.  This will get rid of the cryptic metric
names like "mem_total" or "swap_total" and allow the user to define a human
readable title like "Total Memory" or "Total Swap Space Available".  Titles
that are just easier to read on the user interface.  The user has the option of
adding a human readable title to each metric by including "title=<something>"
in the metric block of a collection_group.  If a title is not specified in the
configuration, then it just defaults to the metric name as it does now.  This
just provides the user with an additional way to customize their UI.

Brad