Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 03:57:40PM -0600, Brad Nicholes wrote:
>>    I new there was something that I was missing when I checked in the header
> file changes.  It appears that I broke the 32-bit builds.  I am trying to get
> the problem fixed and it has to do with adding -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE to the
> libmetrics Makefile.am's.  I just wanted to let the list know that this is a
> known problem and being worked.
>
> I am afraid there is more than that needed (this coming from a linux 64bit)
> while trying to build libmetrics :
>
>  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I../../lib -I../../include -g -O2 -MT
> metrics.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/metrics.Tpo -c metrics.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o
> .libs/metrics.o
> In file included from ../libmetrics.h:36,
>                  from metrics.c:16:
> ../../include/gm_metric.h:8:17: error: apr.h: No such file or directory
> ../../include/gm_metric.h:9:23: error: apr_pools.h: No such file or
> directory
> ../../include/gm_metric.h:10:24: error: apr_tables.h: No such file or
> directory
> In file included from ../libmetrics.h:36,
>                  from metrics.c:16:
> ../../include/gm_metric.h:75: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before
> 'apr_array_header_t'
>
> the core problem being that libmetrics SHOULDN'T depend an all on apr,
> confuse
> or anything else like that and this dependency is being forced into it
> because
> of the use of "gm_metric.h".
>
> libmetrics is an internal library and is being independently bootstrapped,
> and
> before the last set of commits it only  reached up for some few (most likely
> incorrect) dependencies to libganglia in some platforms.

The problem is the typedef of g_val_t.  Both libmetrics and the metric modules
need this typedef.  Before the commits, the metric modules had to include
libmetrics.h to get this typedef.  This would have required libmetrics.h to
become one of the public headers.  So rather than make libmetrics.h a public
header, I pulled the typedef into gm_metrics.h.  However the problem is now
that gm_metrics.h requires apr.h.  The only alternative would be to pull the
definition of g_val_t out into its own header than can be included by both
libmetrics.h and gm_metrics.h.  I don't have a problem with doing that, but it
will require another public header.

Brad