Marcelo Arenas Belon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 05:17:32PM -0600, Brad Nicholes wrote:
>>
>> My point of view is that if nobody steps up to help stabilize a particular
> platforms, then there must not be a need to go to the extra work to support
> it.
>
> but then the code to support that platform will need to be removed or users
> will come back later surprised when they realize that the new released
> version
> has such an obvious regression as failing to compile.

I don't think that we should remove any platform code even if it doesn't work
today. We can always document which platforms have problems.  Yes it could be
considered a regression, but this is a new version of the code with new
functionality.  Until or unless somebody from any specific platform steps up to
make sure that the new functionality works for them, there isn't much that the
project can do about that.  Except to release the new version and hope that the
fact that the new version doesn't work on their platform is enough motivation
to get them to participate with the project and make it work.  When that
happens, the broken platform code will just be sitting there waiting for them
to fix it.  What it comes down to is just the Open Souce "scratch your own
itch" mentality.  Of course we would all like to see all platforms supported,
but I don't think any one of us have the time or resources to make it happen.
That is why it is a community effort. :)

> agree though that the only way to facilitate the process of testing and
> stabilization is to release a package they can start working with, at least.

+1

Brad