On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 10:04:29AM -0600, Brad Nicholes wrote:
> The Ganglia project will be rolling alpha tarballs of the Ganglia 3.1
> version.  If the tarball does not work on your platform, please fix it and
> submit a patch back to the project.

some more additional advice :

0) bootstrapping issues are not the focus of this testing as we are aiming
to stabilize the release package, so if possible use snapshots.

1) read the INSTALL document and be sure that all dependencies are covered.
the internal libraries in srclib are not available anymore with the ganglia
package and so all dependencies will need to be installed and made available
from the software repositories available for your platform, or installed
from sources.  beware that includes GNU make and GNU CC for building the
ganglia sources.

2) the detection of python makes several assumptions that only make sense in
a fedora linux like environment and will be fixed later, if you are having
problems building the python module, or have no access to a python
installation, you can disable building it with --disable-python

3) if you are having problems building or running a modular gmond and are
not interested on modular metrics, you can get a static build with
--enable-static-build as an alternative.

4) to locate the headers and libraries from the dependencies use the --with-*
flags from configure.  for locating binaries from the dependencies
(apr-1-config, rrdtool or python) set your PATH.

5) if you want to build gmetad use --with-gmetad but beware that this will
require additional dependencies and they are no longer linked statically by
default.

6) static libraries will be only used if the required dependencies were built
to generate them, and they are available at link time from the build tree (not
installed in the system).

Carlo

PS. *BSD includes FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD and DragonFlyBSD.  Not mentioned in
the previous email but tested to work was Solaris (and OpenSolaris)