On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 09:33:26AM -0600, Brad Nicholes wrote:

> It's time to get Ganglia 3.1 out the door.

Brad, by the time you made this statement :

* AIX users had no working build
* Fedora Linux ppc64 users wouldn't be able to build a package
* OpenSuSE 10.3 users are still figuring out where to get a working libconfuse
* MacOS X 10.5 users have no working build, and users of older versions have
  a broken libconfuse dependency and most likely a broken build
* HPUX users have no working build
* OpenBSD amd64 users will get their modules installed in an odd directory
  that doesn't exist otherwise in their systems
* DragonFlyBSD users had never had the luxury of having a working snapshot
  to use for testing.
* Solaris users trying to reuse the libapr that comes with apache will have
  a broken build because of an internal header conflict.
* CentOS 4 users are getting used to the idea of using some packages they had
  been told are not safe, as dependencies.
* Windows users had only a static build to use.

what makes you think ganglia 3.1 is ready to get out of the door?

> We created the Ganglia 3.1.x stable branch almost 2 months ago and have been
> working towards a release since then.

and in those 2 months we hadn't been able to get enough people interested in
testing this branch to ensure all the designs are sound and that the package
is ready to be going to beta.

> I think it is time that we actually create a Ganglia 3.1 release candidate
> which can be tested and ultimately determined to be our Ganglia 3.1 official
> release.

did I miss the alphas and the betas?

> The STATUS file has been cleared out of all backports and there are no
show-stoppers that would prevent us from releasing 3.1.

the STATUS file shows 1 show stopper, which as you said is not a regression,
but needs to be addressed so that distributions will be able to carry on with
packages of ganglia 3.1 when it gets out of the door.

having distributions involved with a beta, will also have the side effect of
making testing more effective by providing a framework and the needed
dependencies.

> Unless there is something that should be considered to be a show-stopper, I
> propose that we tag and roll Ganglia 3.1 RC1 immediately and start testing.
> Once Ganglia 3.1 RC1 tarballs have been made available, then we allow a two
> week test period.  If no show-stoppers or major issues are found within the
> two week period, then at the end of the two week period we officially release
> Gangia 3.1.

ganglia 3.1 should be released when it is ready and unless there is some time
constrain which I am unaware of.

rushing a release is not in anyone's interest and will only result in unhappy
users finding themselves as beta testers of what they expected to be a stable
release.  A well organized beta which will cover all platforms, distributions
and scenarios we expect to have in production is.

Carlo