>>> On 6/19/2008 at 4:28 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Stephan Wonczak
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Carlo, Brad,
>
> <lurk mode off>

[snip]

Please see my other post as a response to you concerns.

>   I fully agree. Even if we (in Cologne) are too pressed for time and warm
> bodies to do any testing, we would love to upgrade to 3.1. But more or
> less becoming a beta tester is not something we would do in our production
> environment. A stable release has to be just that: a stable release.

I will say here that nobody would expect you to use your production environment
for beta testing or even trying out a new "stable" release of any software.
However what the Ganglia project lacks is testers.  We have a lot of Ganglia
users that rely on our tried and true 3.0.x version of Ganglia but we don't
have many who are willing to spend time helping us test new features.  As I
have requested before on this list, please join us and help us make Ganglia the
best it can be.  You don't have to develop code to make a difference in the
quality of the Ganglia software.

>    btw, I hope the python gmetad will not replace the C gmetad in the
> future. We have seen far too many memory leaks in python applications to
> feel comfortable with. A process that should be 10 MB in size blowing up
> to 1.5 GB over a few weeks is not really anything we want to see again.

No, there are no plans at the moment for the gmetad-python version to replace
the existing C gmetad.  And the reasons why are for exactly the reasons that
you stated.  The purpose of the python rewrite of gmetad is to introduce a new
architecture and plugin interface.  If the community likes it and is willing to
improve it, then maybe someday it will replace the C version.  However there is
a lot to be determined before that happens.

Brad