Hi Carlo,

Sorry for the late reply, I have been on vacation the last two weeks.

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 03:07 -0500, Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 07:33:23PM -0400, Jason A. Smith wrote:
> >
> > This patch takes the max_graphs option from the conf.php file and
> > makes it configurable on the web interface.
>
> Not sure if that is the right thing to do, as it would seem that a user
> configurable max_graphs would make more sense integrated with an already
> available user configurable show_hosts.
>
> The original intention for "max_graphs" was probably as a system configuration
> to reduce the load in the web server to generate all the graphs for a
> cluster that has way too many nodes and making this user configurable will
> defeat that purpose.

Would a separate option that allowed the user to select up to what the
admin set as max_graphs be a good idea then?  So one option so the admin
can set a max for their ganglia server, and another for the user to
specify how many they would like to see while in the cluster view.

> >  - The number of metric columns in the host view is now configurable
> >    in both the conf.php file and through the web interface.
>
> Committed revision 1583 for trunk
>
> >  - The default hostcols from the cluster view was added to conf.php.
>
> Committed revision 1582 for trunk
>
> >  - All of these values are now saved while navigating through the
> >    web interface via params in the URLs and hidden form values.
>
> Not sure if a good idea, as using hidden form values doesn't allow for
> URLs that are completely representative of the parameters needed to build
> the page and therefore will prevent people sending around ganglia URLs that
> are meaningful.
>
> Agree that the URL is getting polluted and this could be a way to solve that
> problem, but as you point our implicitly in your patch, our current handling
> of GET variables is incomplete, and adding yet another parameter passing
> mechanism will make it even more obscure (BTW we also use cookies in a somehow
> buggy way as well for the same reason).

Actually, the URL "GET" string and the hidden form values are used in
two completely different contexts.  Links on the page use the URL formed
with the $get_metric_string variable, but when a user changes a form
value or the page is reloaded with either the "Get Fresh Data" button or
after the default refresh interval, the web browser/client just submits
the current page (and current form values) to load the page again.
Without these added hidden form values, if the user navigates from one
view to another, then back to the original view, then their previous
form value modifications can be lost.  This is what the additional
hidden form values is trying to prevent, giving the user a more pleasant
experience.

> >  - Fixed a minor bug where the metric shown in the cluster view
> >    wasn't saved while navigating around (wrong variable name).
>
> Committed revision 1567 for trunk
>
> Carlo

|  Jason A. Smith                          Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
|  Atlas Computing Facility, Bldg. 510M    Phone: +1-631-344-4226  |
|  Brookhaven National Lab, P.O. Box 5000  Fax:   +1-631-344-7616  |
|  Upton, NY 11973-5000,  U.S.A.                                   |