On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 05:26:47PM -0400, Jason A. Smith wrote:

> There are two basic ways to navigate around the ganglia website, one way
> is via explicit <A HREF=URL> links.

this is the one I'd test and which is currently inconsistent leading to
some parameters getting lost while going back and forth between links just
because some links are missing some of the variables.

> The other way, is to change one of
> the form values, for example, on the cluster view, you can select a new
> metric to view.  When the form selection is changed, this executes an
> immediate OnChange script, which is always "ganglia_form.submit();".
> Simply waiting the default_refresh interval will also trigger a form
> submit.  Note, the forms in ganglia always begin in the header.php/tpl
> and always have the same structure:
>
> <FORM ACTION="./" METHOD="GET" NAME="ganglia_form">
>
> I really don't see the objection to adding the hidden values, since this
> is the easiest, least obtrusive and best way to do this.

would this work also when doing the navigation through the first method
(clicking through already defined HREF)?

> Would you
> really want to make a context sensitive ACTION URL, adding the missing
> variables explicitly to the different view pages?

no if I can avoid it, but that has been the tendency so far, so for example
from cluster view to host view the "hc" parameter is being passed (even if it
makes no sense in host view) so that it can just be passed back.

if you instead go from the regular cluster view to "physical" view and back
then hc is lost (even if it would had made sense to pass that one around in
that case).

> What exactly is the
> advantage of doing it this way?  This is basically the same thing that
> happens with hidden form values, automatically added by the browser.
> Since this is a GET method, the real form variables along with the
> hidden values are all formed into one long GET string by the web browser
> and submitted to the server.  What exactly is the objection to using
> hidden form values here?  I really don't understand it.

bear with me here, since I most likely don't know the PHP code as well as you
do and it seems from what you explained above I didn't understood this part of
your patch at all (which is also part of the reason why it would had been
nicer if I would have gotten instead little self contained patches with clear
objectives instead).

are you saying then that the reason why you had "mc" both in the GET URL and
as a hidden form was to cover for both possible types of navigation? why then
the list of hidden forms is different for each context while the URL is not?
why we are leaving the possibility open for having the parameter twice in the
GET URL for some links that already include them and why wouldn't be better
 to pass at least some of those values only once by using a cookie instead for
example?

Carlo