On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 01:23:04PM +0100, Kostas Georgiou wrote:

> It will obviously be easier for all packagers to have easilly accessible
> patches instead of having to backport them from the trunk :).

as part of preparing them for next release we have to backport them anyway
so it wouldn't be that difficult for us to queue them from you as well, hence
my suggestion which hopefully saves some work.

> It might be
> better though to just get a new release out every lets say a couple of
> weeks if any such patches are available to avoid confusing situations
> where fedora is at 3.1.n + patch{1,2,4}, debian at 3.1.n + patch{1,3,4} etc.

agree, and you can be sure that we are looking forward to get 3.1.1 released
ASAP (and the announcement might not say we are proud of doing so, as at least
releasing 3.1.0 with a showstopper like this one doesn't make me proud).

but getting a release frozen and out with the system we use now would take
some time (hopefully some of that really testing it) and therefore it will be
unwise to leave a package out with a critical bug like this one unpatched
until that is done.

for example the gentoo package includes one of the queued patches for 3.1.1
with your fixes for tcpconn.py so they don't have that annoying backtrace and
is available here :

  http://bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=162176

> Both options require the same amount of time spend in my part so I don't
> have a strong preference either way.

ok, I presume this also means that filing bugs to fedora with patches might
not be part of that "preferred" way, right?

Carlo