On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:24:52AM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > if you want to do it inside gmond for whatever reason, then
> > you will need to add and extra fork while daemonizing and do
> > the work in the parent, but as Timothy explained it could be
> > as well done with some scripts and crontabs
>
> The reason I am not talking about scripts and crontabs is that it may
> also have to be deployed to an OS without good scripting support.

and that OS without good scripting support has an even worst metric
implementation which I think we should probably focus better on fixing.  I
would say that don't even having a working installer might be also one of the
top things to fix there from ganglia's point of view but at least so far had
prevented people to shoot themselves too frequently in the foot by thinking
that OS support is as good as the others.

a native implementation (instead of going through the cygwin emulation)
will also be something worth considering so that it won't be constrained by it
on its access to the system and could use native interfaces (like WMI) to pull
data and report it.

last if not least, native scripting support for whatever is supported natively
(cscript/powershell and its implementations in Visual Basic or NET) as
provided by that OS designers could also help on getting it to be a good 3.1
ganglia citizen; after all the lack of good scripting support for that OS is
not up to the ganglia team to fix, but the metrics are.

> To make the whole thing run in a consistent way on UNIX and the other OS,
> and to be able to deploy it reliably onto machines having various
> different builds, it is probably easier to have something built in to
> gmond

something important to clarify here which I think is getting confused is
ganglia != gmond, and eventhough I could agree that under some circumstances
it will be a good idea to do configuration management for ganglia withing
ganglia itself, doing it within gmond is a stretch and a violation of the
KISS principle.

so, if you want to do some configuration management application and want to
do it in "C" so that you can workaround the lack of good scripting support in
that other OS (which I presume would have at least python installed, since
that is what you would need to use if making scriptable modules and since
native DSO are not yet working there, at least as loadable modules) then I'd
recommend that you create a new application that is part of the ganglia suite
(which includes also gmetric, gstat and gmetad) to do that.

if you are looking for suggestions, I think "greaper" will be a great name as
its main function will be to reap gmond(*) so that its configuration (which is
also used by gmetric) can be updated and reloaded, and that will leave gmond
doing what it knows to do best (monitoring agent).

Carlo

(*) gconfd is already taking by the GNOME folks