On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 08:45:47AM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Maybe gmond should not know the cluster name at all - maybe gmetad
> should have an internal table of cluster names and nodes.

gmetad does have such a table in its configuration in the form of datasources
which should include at least the cluster/grid name and at least 1 gmond which
contains the information about that.

fixing gmetad so that it overrides the cluster name using the name of the data
source when it is not defined in the collector (as I explained before) would
allow for something like what you were proposing here (except that you will
still need to have a way to find all nodes for that cluster and instruct them
to update the collector for that cluster).

that last part works now by default if all servers are using the default
configuration and the cluster is on its own VLAN, because they all will
automatically collect and report the cluster configuration.

Carlo