Marcelo Arenas Belon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 05:23:13PM -0700, Bernard Li wrote:
>>
>> It looks like in this commit, you have removed the release name for Ganglia:
>>
>> http://ganglia.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ganglia?view=rev&revision=1703
>
> yes, and was proposed for backport to 3.1 next release but has no votes yet.
>
>> I didn't see you re-add the name some place else, so I assume your
>> proposal is to get rid of release name for future releases completely?
>
> yes, it was discussed in the list as one of the reasons why we couldn't get
> a stable release package done, and since it is dead code and it is of no
> use anywhere removing it was the obvious solution to that.

IIRC, the discussion was around whether or not a release name was required in
order to produce a release.  IMO, the release name is optional given that the
version number is really the unique identifier of a release.  But that doesn't
mean that the release name is dead code.  Apparently people still like
associating a release name with a package, which is OK.  That just means that
part of the procedure before actually tagging a testing release is to assign a
release name which could happen right up to the last minute before tagging.  I
think Bernard probably has that covered.

Brad