Greetings,

while looking at the spoofing code in gmetric noticed the implementation by
Yemi to be able to send a spoofed heartbeat by running :

  gmetric -S ${IP}:${NAME} -H

is now considered invalid (since r882) and the implementation in trunk
is dropping the metric if -H is used to indicate a "healthcheck" should be
spoofed with :

  gmetric -n ${METRIC} -v ${VALUE} -t ${TYPE} -S ${IP}:${NAME} -H

considering this is a regression (even if I had to admit I am not sure how
serious, as spoofing is not something I'd used other than for testing its
code), then will be great if someone that knows better this feature could
answer the following :

1) other than breaking some scripts by no longer supporting the format used
   in 3.0, is the longer format needed by 3.1 sufficient? (except of course
   it is odd to drop the information about the metric used just because
   -H is also included as in trunk)

2) is spoofing healthchecks really needed?, considering that the last update
   from the spoofed host will be updated anyway by the metric report?

3) even if using some METADATA with the metric code to indicate the SPOOF_HOST
   between gmetric and gmond is that EXTRA_ELEMENT needed in the gmond XML?

Carlo