Marcelo Arenas Belon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> while looking at the spoofing code in gmetric noticed the implementation by
> Yemi to be able to send a spoofed heartbeat by running :
>
>   gmetric -S ${IP}:${NAME} -H
>
> is now considered invalid (since r882) and the implementation in trunk
> is dropping the metric if -H is used to indicate a "healthcheck" should be
> spoofed with :
>
>   gmetric -n ${METRIC} -v ${VALUE} -t ${TYPE} -S ${IP}:${NAME} -H
>
> considering this is a regression (even if I had to admit I am not sure how
> serious, as spoofing is not something I'd used other than for testing its
> code), then will be great if someone that knows better this feature could
> answer the following :
>
> 1) other than breaking some scripts by no longer supporting the format used
>    in 3.0, is the longer format needed by 3.1 sufficient? (except of course
>    it is odd to drop the information about the metric used just because
>    -H is also included as in trunk)

I don't know how valuable it is, but I think that I can easily fix gmetric so
that it supports the shorter format.

> 2) is spoofing healthchecks really needed?, considering that the last update
>    from the spoofed host will be updated anyway by the metric report?

The health check needs to be there mainly so that the heartbeat metric shows up
for the spoofed box in the XML.  It become less significant in 3.1.x because of
the module spoofing rather than the having to implement spoofing through
gmetric.  Once the module spoofing functionality has been accepted for
backport, I have an example python module that spoofs the base information such
as heartbeat, location, boottime, etc.  By just adding this module, you get all
of the spoofed base metrics.

> 3) even if using some METADATA with the metric code to indicate the
> SPOOF_HOST
>    between gmetric and gmond is that EXTRA_ELEMENT needed in the gmond XML?

I'm not sure I understand the question.  The EXTRA_ELEMENT XML tag is used
because spoofing is an extension to the standard metric data just like TITLE
and GROUP.  The only way to do without the EXTRA_ELEMENT tag would be to rework
the standard tags to include some kind of spoofing attribute.

Brad