>>> On 10/29/2008 at 12:37 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Brad Nicholes"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Marcelo Arenas Belon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 12:25:18PM -0600, Brad Nicholes wrote:
>>> Once the module spoofing functionality has been accepted for backport, I
>> have an example python module that spoofs the base information such as
>> heartbeat, location, boottime, etc.  By just adding this module, you get all
>
>> of the spoofed base metrics.
>>
>> interesting; could that be the reason why while testing gmetric spoofing in
>> trunk the "GMOND_STARTED" value was apparently getting updated?
>>
>> haven't yet tracked that bug, as I wanted to focus in the 3.1 code first,
>> but
>> that is also a regression as it will prevent anyone to identify which hosts
>> are being spoofed through it (which was one of Yemi's concerns when this was
>> introduced around 3.0.4)

I have found another reason for this.  Apparently mcast is ignoring the channel
IP address and only looking at the port.  This means that if you happen to have
two gmonds running on the same box both producing a heartbeat or a gmond and a
gmetric both producing a heartbeat, even though they might be on different
mcast channels, if the assigned port is the same then any gmond listening on
that same port will receive both heartbeat metrics.  As a result the
GMOND_STARTED value will keep flip-flopping back and forth between the two
heartbeats.  I don't know why mcast is ignoring the channel IP address.  Does
anybody have any idea here?

Brad