On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 01:43, Rick Cobb <rc...@quantcast.com> wrote:
> Well, as far as generating discussion goes, I think we're better off
> only aliasing/spoofing IP addresses @ the gmond level, and resolving
> all names with gmetad.   That removes all issues of, e.g., whether the
> host thinks it should send a FQDN or just a basename, or how well
> dns / resolv.conf is set up on every machine in every cluster, etc.
> Only the gmetad servers need to have well-configured resolvers, and
> there are orders of magnitude fewer of those in many networks.
> Besides: fewer system calls on the boxes that are doing the real work
> our clusters our built to do.

All good points.  Sending only the IP address also potentially could
make the packets just slightly smaller, as an IPv4 packet will fit
into 32bits total, instead of one byte per character.  (Of course,
this nicely avoids the whole IPv6 and wide-char hostname issue.)

In my (again feeble) defense, there's also nothing stopping anyone
from setting IP addresses in the "alias=" field.

There are, it seems, two issues related to this.  The first is many
people have requested aliasing abilities for gmond for various
reasons.  The other is a broader shift in what gmond actually reports
(i.e. sending FQDN or just IP).  Fixing the first issue doesn't
prevent fixing the 2nd issue; do it in stages.

> Never did get that patch finished, though, so I probably should stay
> out of the discussion :-)

Incorrect!  :-)  Finish your patch, and let's see it.  I'm not deeply
attached to what I posted.

--
Jesse Becker