Jesse Becker wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 03:26, Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon
> <care...@sajinet.com.pe> wrote:
>
>>> I notice it can do some handy tricks, like generating version numbers that
>>> reflect the tag you are building in
>>>
>> it can also do some more interesting tricks, like pushing/pulling from a
>> subversion server and so there is really no need to force anyone to migrate
>> either.
>>

> So basically, if you (plural) want to use git, go right ahead.
>
>  As a project, it may need a bit more discussion, and at least some
> setup work.  I would suggest having both systems run in parallel for a
> short while before cutting over.  Pick a revision in the SVN tree as a
> base for the import/export to git, and make sure that all of the
> history, tagging, branching, etc is preserved.  Then for a short while
> (few weeks?  a month?) run both systems in parallel, and make sure the
> developers make *TWO* checkins.  One for SVN, one for git.  Yes, it's
> a hassle--that's why the transition time is short. :)

Whenever I've worked on a project that has involved something happening
in parallel, I've found that people occasionally forget - myself included

How about setting up some kind of git sandbox for people to play with,
while SVN remains official?  After a testing period (2-4 weeks?) we
scrap the sandbox and migrate the latest SVN to git.

When I talk about scrapping the sandbox, we would preserve any specific
changes required for git, e.g. replacing svn2cl.  Such changes would
need to be extracted as patches and then re-applied.

I must confess that my own experiments with git have been quite modest
to date, but if you ignore the effort required to migrate, it seems to
offer benefits from any angle you look at it.