On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 03:05:32PM -0800, Bernard Li wrote:

> Can you please test this tarball bootstrapped on Fedora 9.

It works, but would invalidate all testing that was done for 3.1.3
and the "original" 3.1.4.

> If it works I will replace the original tarball with this:
>
> http://ganglia.info/testing/bootstrapped_on_fedora9/ganglia-3.1.4.tar.gz

-1

Changing the release package in the middle of a release is a bad idea;
indeed changing it without bumping the release version goes against our
release procedures, as it could result in different binary packages and was
the reason why the "unofficial" package I provided was published far
from the ganglia servers to hopefully avoid any confusion and frustration
if it was found later that someone finds a bug which happens to be only
reproducible in the "other" version.

There is also the risk of introducing a bug (like the one in 3.1.2 from
bootstrapping in SuSE with automake 1.9.6 which prevented users that had
the 32bit libraries for apr installed on 64bit systems to get a working
build) and so as much as I am excited about finally moving to some more
modern versions of autotools, this make only sense as part of 3.1.5, and
which will hopefully also allow for enough time to remove all needed hacks
and finally cleanup the bootstrapping code.

Carlo