On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 11:48:51AM +0000, Daniel Pocock wrote:

>> fork() doesn't work because the kqueue filehandle is not inherited; using
>> rfork() instead doesn't either because all filehandles are closed by doing
>> exit(0) in the parent and so fails in the same way that changing
>> apr_proc_detach() does when changed to use rfork() instead.
>>
> I'm not a BSD expert, do you know if there is any ioctl or something
> that can be used to tell BSD to keep the file descriptors for the child
> process?

not a BSD expert either, but I would think that would be very unlikely.

I would suggest reverting r2025 in trunk and start looking for an alternative
solution, but would be probably just easier to revert r2043 for 3.1 as well
to solve the release blocker, with the possibility of adding some logic to
the init script to try to help with the test case you were trying to prevent
by the original feature.

Carlo

PS. apache httpd must have a solution as they don't seem to have kqueue
    disabled, but that solution is probably just to delay the port binding
    as was done originally (except that they manage better the failures)