Pocock <dan...@pocock.com.au> wrote:
> I would like gmond to return a non-zero return code if it fails to
> initialise, e.g. if it is unable to bind or if it is unable to resolve a
> hostname mentioned in gmond.conf
>
> Otherwise, the init-script always says that it started '[OK]' even if
> the daemon process has died on startup.
>
> That is why this change was made.  However, I see a few solutions going
> forward:
>
> - we can discard the patch completely
>
> - we can discard the patch, and I could write another patch that does
> some tests (e.g. resolving host names) before daemonizing
>
> - we can #ifdef the patch so that on BSD systems, it daemonizes earlier,
> and on other systems it does so later
>
> - we can modify the init script to sleep and then call `ps -C gmond' and
> determine if it kept running
>
> - post the problem on the apr dev list and discuss it there before
> making any decision

I'm not sure that I have anything to add as far as the discussion of this issue
goes, but I have commit rights on the APR project.  If you go with the last
option and take this discussion to the APR-dev list, I can certainly get
whatever patch is agreed upon committed and backported in APR.  The downside to
that option is that we would have to bundle the latest APR RPMs or tarball with
Ganglia rather than using the distro version.  So even if we do find a solution
in APR, we will probably still have to build in a workaround in gmond.

Brad