Hi Brad:

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 7:33 AM, Brad Nicholes <bnicho...@novell.com> wrote:

> Actually I think this is a good idea.  In my experience, unicast seems to be
> more the norm rather than the exception now.  If we were to make unicast the
> default, then that would make the suggestion above more relevant.  We would
> probably want to put something in the code to automatically disable the send
> metadata for multicast.

I'd like to clarify a few points.

Right now if we are using the default multicast setting, if
send_metadata_interval directive is omitted, is it set to 0 and thus
metadata re-sending by interval is suppressed?  If so, I would suggest
the following:

1) Do NOT set send_metadata_interval in gmond.conf (we could add a
comment if so desired)
2) Add check in libconfuse parsing of gmond.conf -- if host and port
are specified (meaning unicast), send_metadata_interval must be >= 0,
if not a warning message is displayed and gmond is not started
3) Perhaps move the send_metadata_interval directive from the global
section to each udp_send_channel section?

My $0.02.

Thanks,