On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 12:42, Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon
<care...@sajinet.com.pe> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 09:27:28PM -0400, Jesse Becker wrote:
>>
>> My only concern is with the import process itself.
>
> any import process that I know of from svn to git, should at least preserve
> the history, what is your concern specifically here?

I did some experimenting specifically with the Ganglia repository, and
ran into some trouble during the limited time I had to focus on this.
As I recall, the "simple" import will lose certain information
regarding branches and tags, although the commits and log information
themselves are preserved.

>> There is a lot of important metadata in the existing SVN repository.
>
> are you referring to which files are executable or ASCII and stuff like that?
> tools should be able to translate them most likely into their corresponding
> git flags

No, the various non-code files (documentation, logs, etc), I'm not
concerned about.  I expect git to handle those flawlessly.  I refer to
the metadata in the repository itself--tags, logs, code attributions,
etc.

> if you are talking about the "external" dependency to web/dwoo that was added
> in trunk and therefore now also in 3.2, that would need to be translated as
> well, but git submodules allows for that.

I'd forgotten about dwoo, actually, but again am not terribly worried
about it either.  I don't consider that "our" code; we just happen to
have a copy of it for convenience

>> I believe that
>> this should be completely preserved, either directly within the git
>> repository, or as a separate standalone (and frozen) SVN repository.
>> The commit logs, test branches, and history is too important to lose.
>
> the "test branches" that are no longer open (because they were already merged
> back) wouldn't need to be migrated IMHO, as for the other branches that were
> open but never merged back, the should be probably migrated over as well as
> "topic branches" but later weeded out after their good parts had been merged
> back, to avoid confusion.

Closed branches can remain closed, but I still think they should be
kept as a record, if nothing else.

--
Jesse Becker