On 01/26/2012 12:07 PM, Bryan Thompson wrote:
> Dave,
>
> There is undoubtably fat in the XML.  However, I think that you would get far
> more savings by giving the client a means to request which data they are
> interested in.  Right now it sends everything each time, right? It would be
> nice if you could provide a regex for what you needed.  One option would be
> to put up an http end point which allowed query parameters that describe the
> data of interest.  I've done this in a similar system in Java.  Not sure what
> options are out there in C for embedded httpd.
>
> Bryan

Such a thing already exists for requesting data from gmetad, the
ganglia-monitor xml exchange however doesn't have any notion of limiting
scope. Typically there is only one consumer of data from ganglia-monitor
via xml, which is gmetad AND gmetad wants all the data every time, so I
don't know that any sort of scope limit on request would be that great
of a gain really.

The json bit OTOH doesn't currently exist AND as such doesn't have any
known consumers or consumption patterns. Adding some provider side
filtering may be desirable, but I would speculate that most of the time
the ganglia-monitor access pattern will be "tell me everything" and the
per grid/cluster/host/group/metric filtering would happen up at the
gmetad or gmetad-equivalent layer. I.E. maybe you replace gmetad with a
message queue, the filtering would be provided by the topic subscription
mechanism of your message queue system.

-Dave