On Jan 27, 2012, at 8:59 AM, Im Root wrote:

> I believe that adding json would be a mistake. The reason is that when users
> install the main package there would be now a dependency on having json
> installed. It just adds to the complexity and helps to perpetuate RPM hell.
> I've had to deal with installing json in the past and it's been awful. It may
> be nice for a developer but not so nice for the end users.

I disagree for a few reasons.

 1. As a user, I sometimes want to consume ganglia data in other contexts (not
just in gweb).  I'd much prefer working with JSON instead of XML.
 2. gweb currently allows users to download metrics as JSON.  This is done by
getting XML from gmetad, and transforming it into JSON in PHP.  If gmetad could
create JSON natively, gweb code could probably be streamlined.

Dave: At one time, Erik Kastner created a patch for rrdtool which allowed it to
produce JSON from rrd file data.  Might be worth seeing where that project
stands.  That's not exactly the same as what you're proposing, but it seems
complementary.

 - http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/forum.en.html#nabble-td5629054
 - https://gist.github.com/614476

alex