Ok.

Not sure if this matters to your proposal, but GROUP is not always a single
name/value pair.  There can be multiple GROUPs for a metadata record.

Is gmetad really pulling the XML from gmond?  Why not just embed the logic to
listen for UDP packets and develop a soft state model of the cluster metrics in
gmetad?  Jeff, is that what you meant by a major rewrite of gmetad?

Thanks,
Bryan